Monday, March 26, 2012

Frustration.. slow performace when editing a DTS

I have tried many things and even the worst case thing which I was trying to avoid i.e. uninstalled MSDE SP3 and Analysis Services and service packs but the problem is still not solved...

Whenever I open a DTS in design view and double click on the link (the line connecting the two) between the source and destination servers the PC goes to sleep and comes back after a long time and then the same problem occurs when I press on the transformation tab...

I know this may sound weird but that really is the case :eek:

Please help :oSounds like the DTS designer can not connect to one of the machines that the Data Transform Task is moving data to and/or from. Check the connection parameters, and make sure you can connect to all of the machines.|||Thanks for the reply.

The source is a MS-SQL server on the LAN while the destination is MSDE SP3 on my box. I have been doing similar data importing related tasks (with the same settings, source, and destination) in the past but never experienced this problem. I can connect to both machines so that part is also covered.

Connection parameters is new for me so can you please guide how to go about checking the connection parameters i.e. from where are these defined and what should be the settings??|||While still trying to solve the problem, I brought up task manager and I have concluded that everytime the problem happens the MMC.EXE process is choking the CPU...

Does this provide any clues?|||Connection parameters is new for me so can you please guide how to go about checking the connection parameters i.e. from where are these defined and what should be the settings??

Just double-click on the connections and check the login, machine name, and database. If all are good, then it is something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment