Friday, March 9, 2012

French Canadian in France that needs help

Peaked a look, hey?
now try answering this

I've got on my computer
- SQL Server 2K
- my database

I open SQL Enterprise Manager

How can I create a new - L O C A L - Server under my Server Group
WITHOUT using the computer name (computername\instancename)Do you mean register one server twice? Not sure it can be done. Several folks around here have tried to do it, in order to have two different logins in Enterprise Manager (I don't even want to know why). You could try setting up an alias for the local machine in the Client Network Utility. I do not think anyone here has tried that out, yet. Good luck.|||how do you put an alias on the computer name with windows XP ?|||Are you asking how to create a share?|||nope

I don't want to have the computer name in the server name
to have an identical Server name for all the computers
installed with my program

(remember the 2000 dbs ?)|||I was trying to forget...

Damn...now I need to go shake up a pitcher...

I would start a list of all the Issues you run in to because of this design...

Did we say if this was MSDE or not? Gotta be, right?

Also what was the front end in? Is it also a local install just like the db?

Can the front end determine where it is and the establish it's own connection to the db?|||I want to able to connect to SQL Server with

driver={SQL Server};server=UniqueMachineName\Mercure;uid=sa;pw d=xxxx

OR

driver={SQL Server};server=(local);uid=sa;pwd=xxxx

I was able to add a LOCAL server with SQL Server 7
but not with SQL Server 2K|||Just to get this straight...this is because they are all stand alone database...or no?

And if they are do they talk to a single backend repository?|||yes they are all stand alone database
and yes I could get the machine name to build my connection string

BUT i've got Crystal reports directly connected to the database
and I don't want to have 2000 reports saved with different
connection string|||Over here we call them "Freedom Canadians".|||Nice !

you've been to Quebec ?
nicest city in the olllllllllllll world !

but icy-cold skiing|||I was planning to visit Quebec, but my buddy Conan O'Brien advised me not to!|||Ok ok ok ok ok...

Conan's a jackass who has never been funny.

Je me souviens!|||If you go, take a drink for me at the Chateau Frontenack|||I should be so lucky. Maybe we can hold a conference there and get our companies to pay for it.

Brett, do you suppose they serve Margaritas?
www.chateaufrontenac.com|||It's a nice hotel
but you don't have to pay for a room to enter and have a drink at the
panoramic bar

Beer is cheaper than usual bars...
and they even serve it with bols of free peanuts !|||Originally posted by Karolyn
It's a nice hotel
but you don't have to pay for a room to enter and have a drink at the
panoramic bar

Beer is cheaper than usual bars...
and they even serve it with bols of free peanuts !

They have many Books online AND Free peanuts!

Holy Sh-t

That's a cool bar.

Do they server Margarittas?|||In Quebec we drink beer
but if you want to play it "shobish"
with the little finger up
you can , OF COURSE, order a margaritta|||Hey now....

You've never had one of my Margarittas...

You'd never taste the booze...and there ain't much mix

...8...9...10...OUT|||And if it's to froo-froo...then I'll have

Beefeater...up...dry...olive...

Actually...you know what my favo(u*)rite drink is?

The one in front of me...

* for the continent|||Originally posted by Karolyn
It's a nice hotel
but you don't have to pay for a room to enter and have a drink at the
panoramic bar

Beer is cheaper than usual bars...
and they even serve it with bols of free peanuts !

I definitely need to be there ...

Now would that be a printed edition ? I have been searching too long for one.

Brett ... do you have any recipie to go along with Bacardi Limon ...|||Originally posted by Karolyn
In Quebec we drink beer


...but you're not in Kansas anymore....

What do you drink in France...beer?|||It's the country of alcool

Wine
Cognac
Calvados
Cider
Champagne
Pastis
...

But never all together (basic principle)

But nothing better than a nice cold beer in summer in your hammac|||Originally posted by Enigma
I definitely need to be there ...

Now would that be a printed edition ? I have been searching too long for one.

Brett ... do you have any recipie to go along with Bacardi Limon ...

Have you tried Tonic?

Very refreshing...and I bet the lemon rum would make a nice mix...

just plain run and tonic (with lime) is nice, especially at the beach...

Cheers

Dr. Mixology

Hey Karolyn...do you ski?|||Will try that ... i m thinking of trying something new (other than the whiskeys i normally have)|||I ski
the specialty in Quebec is icy skiing
'cause it's soooooooo cold the snow freezes|||Originally posted by Karolyn
I ski
the specialty in Quebec is icy skiing
'cause it's soooooooo cold the snow freezes

yeah...but some of the best skiiers in the world come out of the east...why? Because you had better know very good, sound fundamental techniques...otherwise your toast...

AND you have to LOVE skiing to go out and ski when it's -7F...wothout windchill...

am I right?

Hey, had the family on the slopes yesteday in the catskills...a balmy 25F, with a 1/2 foot of fresh snow...

jammin in the pow-pow...blues sky and sun...awesome...|||yah...
bah...
and you get a raccoon-suntan 'cause of the sunglasses
no way for me

(just jealous)|||Brett,

It's 26F in Montreal today. I'm sure that Quebec is just a few degrees lower. It can be cold, but we're not all Eskimos. Mind you I did survive a -90 windchill (-50 without) in Saskatoon one year.

-7 would have been balmy ;)

Originally posted by Brett Kaiser
yeah...but some of the best skiiers in the world come out of the east...why? Because you had better know very good, sound fundamental techniques...otherwise your toast...

AND you have to LOVE skiing to go out and ski when it's -7F...wothout windchill...

am I right?

Hey, had the family on the slopes yesteday in the catskills...a balmy 25F, with a 1/2 foot of fresh snow...

jammin in the pow-pow...blues sky and sun...awesome...|||Originally posted by SimSoph
Brett,

It's 26F in Montreal today. I'm sure that Quebec is just a few degrees lower. It can be cold, but we're not all Eskimos. Mind you I did survive a -90 windchill (-50 without) in Saskatoon one year.

-7 would have been balmy ;)

I don't know about you...but this has been a cooooooooooooooold winter...I don't remeber one being so cold for so long...

I mean the weather just warmed up (into the 20's) what a week or 2 ago...

Never experied -50 though...saw -22 one year though...the lifts froze...

Not that I was going skiing in that...the day before at -7 was quite brisk enough...with 20 mph winds...brrrrrrr...no skin exposed that day...

I gotta get up to tremblant one of these days...|||Use IP adresses as of server name !|||Huh?|||Good call Brett,
.
Tremblant is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. My wife and I get away for a weekend there every year. Golf there is amazing too.

I don't ski but apparently it is amazing there. It's a pretty quick drive from here in Ottawa.

Originally posted by Brett Kaiser
I don't know about you...but this has been a cooooooooooooooold winter...I don't remeber one being so cold for so long...

I mean the weather just warmed up (into the 20's) what a week or 2 ago...

Never experied -50 though...saw -22 one year though...the lifts froze...

Not that I was going skiing in that...the day before at -7 was quite brisk enough...with 20 mph winds...brrrrrrr...no skin exposed that day...

I gotta get up to tremblant one of these days...|||Originally posted by SimSoph
Good call Brett,
.
Tremblant is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. My wife and I get away for a weekend there every year. Golf there is amazing too.

I don't ski but apparently it is amazing there. It's a pretty quick drive from here in Ottawa.

Cool...now I gotta get there...you and the wife...are you BC? Before Children..if so go skiing now...a lot less to mobilize...but hey...we got the routine down now...and we all love it...

don't forget to take a lesson or 2...and if it's as beautiful as you say...try looking at it 4000ft up...awseome....

damn...now I'm jonse'n again...

No comments:

Post a Comment