Friday, March 23, 2012

Frustrating Backup/Restore Issue

Im running SQL Server 2005

I set up 4 maintenance plans:

1) Full production DBS backup every day at midnight

2) Transaction Backups every 10 minutes starting at 12:10 AM ending at 11:59 PM

3) Full System DBS backups

4) Maintenance on production database: index rebuild, stats, etc.

All the files are sucessfully there but when I try to restore the backup to a new database to make sure its valid it seems I can restore the full backup but the transaction logs seem to be completely disassociated with the full backup. Says there not from the same backup set

I tried the same thing earlier just taking a full backup and then transaction logs in two separate plans and it worked fine. Sometimes it seems to sync up and sometimes it does not. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated

Thanks

Scott

What you're attempting should work just fine, so we need to figure out exactly where it's going wrong.

Information that will help us figure that out:

The exact error text, cut and pasted if possible. That allows us to track down what code is generating the error.|||

Okay first and foremost here is the error message I can when I try to restore the full backup with the first transaction log after the full backup. (Im having trouble copying and pasting) its says:

The volume on Device 'S:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\backup\radb\radb_backup_200609281200.trn' is not part of a multiple family media set. BACKUP WITH FORMAT can be used to form a new media set. RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3259)

- I am using separate files and separate database maintenance plans (since they need to be schedule at different times) for the full backup and transactional backups

- I am using separate transaction files for each log and not appending

- I am backing up to disk and not directly to tape

- I am using Management Studio and maintenance plans for these operations

Thanks

Scott

|||

It sounds from your description and the error message as if you might be attempting to restore the full backup and the log backup in one command. If that's the case, this is your problem.

You need to restore the full backup first, WITH NORECOVERY, and then restore transaction log backups one by one in order, specifying WITH NORECOVERY until you've got them all applied. At that point you can restore with recovery, and you're done.

|||

Okay I understand what your saying but ...

I have gotten it to work where I can restore and check the full backup with the transaction logs. Its worked twice like that and hasnt worked twice so its the consistency that bothers me. In the meantime I will try to restore the full backup first and then apply the logs.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment