Friday, March 23, 2012

Frustrated with two clients that can't connect...

I have a SQL server that I am trying to access from across a WAN. 1 machine
of the 3 machines will connect ok, the other 2 machine's will not. The SQL
server is using Named Pipes. On all 3 machines I can do a net view
\\servername and have it come back ok. I've tried both SQL auth and Windows
auth and both work on the machine that can connect and both fail on the
machine's that won't.
How do you troubleshoot a client that won't connect?
Is there a SQL client configuration utility? If so how do I run it /
install it?
My debugging application allows me to get to a "Data Link Properties" dialog
that allows me to try settings. Can you get to this dialog on any machine?
How can I invoke it? I remember something about creating an empty file with
a specific extension and going to its properties but I may be thinking of
ODBC.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
SA Dev"SA Development" <nospam38925@.forme.com> wrote in message
news:3tCdnYtUxJwY793fRVn-1A@.valortelecom.com...
>I have a SQL server that I am trying to access from across a WAN. 1
>machine of the 3 machines will connect ok, the other 2 machine's will not.
>The SQL server is using Named Pipes. On all 3 machines I can do a net view
>\\servername and have it come back ok. I've tried both SQL auth and
>Windows auth and both work on the machine that can connect and both fail on
>the machine's that won't.
> How do you troubleshoot a client that won't connect?
> Is there a SQL client configuration utility? If so how do I run it /
> install it?
It's called "Client Network Utility". Install the SQL Tools from the SQL
Server CD, and make sure your client is using the same protocols, etc., as
the Server (use the Server Network Utility on the Server to determine this).
BTW, what version of SQL Server are you using? Are the 3 machines
configured similarly? Same Network protocols, same firewall settings (if
any), etc.?

> My debugging application allows me to get to a "Data Link Properties"
> dialog that allows me to try settings. Can you get to this dialog on any
> machine? How can I invoke it? I remember something about creating an
> empty file with a specific extension and going to its properties but I may
> be thinking of ODBC.
You can test your server connection from the ODBC Administrator by creating
an ODBC DSN in it and, when done, click on the Test button.
Is this an application you are developing or a pre-packaged app? If it's an
app you're developing, you might need to re-visit your connection string
settings. If it's a pre-packaged app, you will probably have to scan their
documentation for specific configuration info.

No comments:

Post a Comment