Friday, March 23, 2012

Frontpage & MS SQL Connection Error-Please Help

Hi, I have 2 servers, both with Windows 2003 Standard edition. Servers
are NOT in a domain. The second server has SQL 2000, the first has IIS 6.0
Through OBDC (System DSN) I created a connection to the SQL db. Then on
my laptop I opened up frontpage to create a page to view the db results.
But, I get the this error when I select the "System Data Source on Web
Server":
"Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted
SQL Server connection"
I have been browsing through the web for some time now and can not seem
to get a direct resolution to this error.
On the SQL Server Management under Logins I have selected "Windows
Authentication", I have added the IIS_WPG, created a new account named
SQLUSER, etc..
Nothing seems to work. Every solution I have found so far on the web has
to do with another application, most often it seems it is a .net issue.
Basically I am trying to create forms via Frontpage to input and view
data entered into a SQL db.
Any help will be very much appriciated
This error means that the account is unknown on the SQL Server machine.
For example, suppose I create a user named User1 on computer Machine1.
Then I try to log into SQL Server on Machine2 using User1 from Machine1.
This is not possible because Machine2 has no idea about User1.
However, there is one trick you can employ to make this work, an old NTLM
trick that is used here.
If you create same user name on 2 machines with same exact password, then it
is possible for these accounts to work in this fashion (User1 from Machine1
to log into Machine2 as User1).
So in your case you need to create SQLUser on both machines with exact same
password and in theory it should work.
Matt Neerincx [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only.
"Sam White" <noSPAM@.Please.com> wrote in message
news:wuCdnbmhoqAck6beRVn-3g@.giganews.com...
> Hi, I have 2 servers, both with Windows 2003 Standard edition. Servers are
> NOT in a domain. The second server has SQL 2000, the first has IIS 6.0
> Through OBDC (System DSN) I created a connection to the SQL db. Then on my
> laptop I opened up frontpage to create a page to view the db results. But,
> I get the this error when I select the "System Data Source on Web Server":
> "Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
> Server connection"
> I have been browsing through the web for some time now and can not seem to
> get a direct resolution to this error.
> On the SQL Server Management under Logins I have selected "Windows
> Authentication", I have added the IIS_WPG, created a new account named
> SQLUSER, etc..
> Nothing seems to work. Every solution I have found so far on the web has
> to do with another application, most often it seems it is a .net issue.
> Basically I am trying to create forms via Frontpage to input and view data
> entered into a SQL db.
> Any help will be very much appriciated

No comments:

Post a Comment