Monday, March 12, 2012

frequent index corruption

Hi All,
I have a table on SQL 2000 (SP4) with about 55k records and was not
having any problems with it for some time. Recently, I am getting
index corruption errors such as:
Could not find the index entry for RID
'3601000001001c0031002d0044004b0058002d0
03800340037003300' in index
page (1:1396706), index ID 3, database <db_name>
I've tried researching on this matter, but there seems to be no clear
explanation on how or why these are happening. I have looked at the
possibility of a hardware problem, but the same set of indexes on two
replication subscribers (from a single publisher) have the corruption.
So it would be quite unlikely that both subscribers, which are
different machines on different locations, would have the same
hardware problem at the same time. The publisher does not have this
problem.
Second, if I drop the corrupt indexes, the errors go away, and if I
recreate them the corruption is consistently present. I did the
dropping and creation a couple of times, and it is very consistent,
which is odd.
I came across KB 822747 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822747),
which was quite similar to what I am having since my database is on a
binary collation and the involve indexes have several unicode columns,
but I'm not sure if there is any relationship there. The issue in the
KB was said to be fixed on SP4, but I already got SP4.
DBCC does not return any error, btw.
I hope someone can enlighten me on this or point me to the right
direction.
Thanks,
AramidThis sounds like a case for MS support. I'd run through method#2 in the
stated KB and collect the result. Along with your server info (@.@.version),
it should be a very quick call. You will need a credit to open a case, but
shouldn't be charged if it's indeed a bug.
-oj
"Aramid" <aramid@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ml6d82tca5vf3gr71od5sc8fj5kjp5qtkv@.
4ax.com...
> Hi All,
> I have a table on SQL 2000 (SP4) with about 55k records and was not
> having any problems with it for some time. Recently, I am getting
> index corruption errors such as:
> Could not find the index entry for RID
> '3601000001001c0031002d0044004b0058002d0
03800340037003300' in index
> page (1:1396706), index ID 3, database <db_name>
> I've tried researching on this matter, but there seems to be no clear
> explanation on how or why these are happening. I have looked at the
> possibility of a hardware problem, but the same set of indexes on two
> replication subscribers (from a single publisher) have the corruption.
> So it would be quite unlikely that both subscribers, which are
> different machines on different locations, would have the same
> hardware problem at the same time. The publisher does not have this
> problem.
> Second, if I drop the corrupt indexes, the errors go away, and if I
> recreate them the corruption is consistently present. I did the
> dropping and creation a couple of times, and it is very consistent,
> which is odd.
> I came across KB 822747 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822747),
> which was quite similar to what I am having since my database is on a
> binary collation and the involve indexes have several unicode columns,
> but I'm not sure if there is any relationship there. The issue in the
> KB was said to be fixed on SP4, but I already got SP4.
> DBCC does not return any error, btw.
> I hope someone can enlighten me on this or point me to the right
> direction.
> Thanks,
> Aramid

No comments:

Post a Comment